“According to the Church’s command, ‘after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year.’Anyone who is aware of having committed a mortal sin must not receive Holy Communion, even if he experiences deep contrition, without having first received sacramental absolution, unless he has a grave reason for receiving Communion and there is no possibility of going to confession.57 Children must go to the sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion for the first time.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1457)
Students of St. Clement’s Church traditionally celebrate First Reconciliation in January of their second grade year.
- They begin Preparation for the Journey with a family retreat in the spring of their first grade year.
- Families will continue to prepare for the Sacrament during the summer prior to second grade.
- Students attend weekly Faith Formation classes either Sunday mornings with the parish, or through the Divine Mercy Academy.
- Students and their families participate in a second retreat during the fall of second grade.
- After their First Reconciliation, students and their families celebrate with a special party!
Please see the Parish Religious Education Calendar for more information. More detailed information will be posted and sent to families as it becomes available.