St. Clement Parish, Johnstown, Pennsylvania, was established June 29, 1956 by the Most Reverend Richard T. Guilfoyle, Bishop of the Altoona-Johnstown Diocese. The Rev. Joseph M. O’Toole was named the founding pastor. Ground was broken on December 16, 1956, and the new Church was dedicated December 8, 1957.
The current rectory is the third building to house the clergy of the Parish. The first structure was the Bothe farmhouse, the original dwelling on the property. The second rectory, situated to the north of the Church-School grounds, was purchased in the summer of 1962 and served the needs of the priests until the summer of 1970, when it was moved to the corner of Lindberg Avenue and Goucher Street. The present rectory was dedicated November 25, 1970.
The Sisters who staffed the Parish School first lived in a house on Alberta Avenue and then on Hickory Lane, before moving into the new convent located on Church property in 1962. With the departure of the Sisters in 1986, the convent was renovated in 1990 by the Knights of Columbus for use as an Adult Education and Activity Center.
The Rev. Msgr. William E. Schultz became pastor on June 17, 1989. During his tenure, Msgr. Schultz refined the Parish vision by adopting the present Parish Mission Statement. On June 26, 1996, our current Pastor, Father William E. Rosenbaum, became pastor of St. Clement Parish. Father Rosenbaum is a spiritual inspiration to the Parish and has encouraged the development of new social functions and activities, resulting in a more actively engaged parish community.
Under Father Rosenbaum’s direction, the Parish has undergone several major renovations. In 2000, a capital campaign was held to raise funds for a new pitched roof and steeple. In 2005, the worship place was enhanced with new lighting, a new altar, ambo, Baptismal Font, and organ and refinished pews. Currently, the Parish is raising funds to build a pavilion on Church grounds, which will be a welcomed addition to the Parish for years to come. Phase I of the pavilion project is expected to be completed during the spring of 2012.
Today, St. Clement Church is a strong and vibrant faith community which invites and encourages its parishioners to share their gifts and talents in service to others. The Parish proudly sponsors a Food Pantry and Angel Tree Program to assist those in need and is widely known for its Pancake Breakfasts and annual Parish Festival & Car Cruise. Hundreds of volunteers from the parish selflessly serve the Church and community every day through our various ministries.